Friday, February 7, 2014

Little boy tears up over "Say Something" (same song that gets me too)

Today while driving, I heard, "Say Something," a song that's so beautifully melancholy I cannot turn it off even as it sends me inward. After the song, a DJ commented, "Did you see the video of the little boy crying over this song? Check it out on our website!"

When I heard that, I was annoyed. Isn't a kid's privacy not worth violating? Let him have a cry in peace, for heaven's sake, why would anyone post such a video? (Then again, I guess people do this with babies all the time and I don't think twice about that, so where's the line? I'm not really sure, but I wanted to see the video anyway to see what everyone was talking about.)

Once I watched it, I felt less judgy. I'm not saying this is what I would have done but why should a glimpse of humanity be shameful? Sadness is not something we should have to hide. Obviously this little boy hadn't been through a breakup but even he can understand the pain of loss at that deep, wordless level the song transports you to.



I think it's beautiful that even though the song made him sad, he still wanted to hear it. There's something compelling about wanting to stay with a feeling through your depths and not running away: this is what it means to be alive, to be human... this range of emotion that can at times feel like a curse and yet binds us all no matter our differences. And isn't it touching to see this small example of a sweet little boy you can imagine will grow up to be a kind man?

Original song:


Say Something by A Great Big World

Say something, I'm giving up on you
I'll be the one, if you want me to
Anywhere I would've followed you
Say something, I'm giving up on you

And I am feeling so small
It was over my head
I know nothing at all

And I will stumble and fall
I'm still learning to love
Just starting to crawl

Say something, I'm giving up on you
I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you
Anywhere I would've followed you
Say something, I'm giving up on you

And I will swallow my pride
You're the one that I love
And I'm saying goodbye

Say something, I'm giving up on you
And I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you
And anywhere I would've followed you (Oh-oh-oh-oh)
Say something, I'm giving up on you

Say something, I'm giving up on you
Say something... 

2 comments:

  1. One of the amazing things about music is its ability to hit us emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet daddy. I like how attentive he was to his son, and that he respected his son's wishes even though it meant he had to watch him cry.
    My daughter has always been affected by music too. When she was 2.5 I brought home these celtic CDs I'd bought, really great music & harmony, and lots of dark emotions. I had 2 sets of speakers in the house, and was in the kitchen with my son (then 6) when HE realized with some alarm that we hadn't seen or heard anything from Emily for a long time.... We found her just sitting on the sofa (I'm talking about a toddler here!) listening to the music with a dreamy look on her face. It was really something!!! This kid is now 16, btw, and plays the guitar herself.....

    ReplyDelete