Friday, March 28, 2014

"me" questionaire (for you) (and me)

Here is a questionnaire from one of the self-exploration books I'm reading -- sometimes people in long-term relationships lose their sense of identity and this struck me. I spent 17 years making someone else more important so it has taken a while to tease out my own individuality. If this is your case too, here's
some questions to dive in:
  • I am _________
  • The main thing about me is _________
  • I always _________
  • I feel most like me when _________
  • What I like most about a person is _________
  • I will be _________
  • I get angry when _________
  • I feel happiest when _________
  • I believe in _________
  • One thing I want to accomplish is _________
  • What I like most about myself is _________
  • I hate it when _________
  • I was _________
  • I feel least like me when _________
  • I feel weakest when _________
  • I never _________
  • When I feel angry I _________
  • On a rainy day I like to _________
  • I feel good when I remember _________
  • When I'm alone I feel _________
  • Most of all I really want _________
  • I was the type of child who _________
  • One thing I'd like to change about myself is _________
  • I feel strongest when _________
  • On a beautiful day I like to _________
  • My favorite pastime is _________
  • When I feel happy I like to _________
  • If my relationship with ___ were to end _________
. . .
My answers:
  • I am often smiling  (believe it or not, I'm kindof a happy person, I'm maybe the happiest emo person you'll ever meet)
  • The main thing about me is that I feel things so deeply (sometimes this is awesome and sometimes it SUCKS) 
  • I always think of others first (it's 2nd nature and I'm actually trying to not do this so much)
  • I feel most like me when I am alone
    What I like most about a person is kindness and humor
  • I will be [??]
  • I get angry when I don't feel heard or feel harshly criticized
  • I feel happiest when I'm laughing at something funny
  • I believe in the good of people
  • One thing I want to accomplish is reaching/helping/mattering to others
  • What I like most about myself is that I am genuine
  • I hate it when I can only see my faults
  • I was always trying my best even when I failed
  • I feel least like me when I feel unworthy in someone else's eyes
  • I feel weakest when I'm exhausted and wrung out (physically or emotionally)
  • I never can hold a grudge (even when it would be good for me to)
  • When I feel angry I cry (I fucking hate this about myself! Why can't I just punch a wall like normal people?!!)
  • On a rainy day I like to read
  • I feel good when I remember the things I've accomplished (especially creative projects)
  • When I'm alone I feel content
  • Most of all I really want more time to be creative
  • I was the type of child who was content, sensitive, & observant
  • One thing I'd like to change about myself is caring less about what others think (it's so very uncool to admit this)
  • I feel strongest when I'm fully recharged with my downtime
  • On a beautiful day I like to be outside
  • My favorite pastime is reading & writing
  • When I feel happy I like to laugh, goof around and be silly
  • If my relationship with the Cyclist were to end, I'd be scared of not finding anyone like him & also of hurting someone. (The idea of hurting anyone has made me hesitant to get close to anyone but is not really the greatest excuse anymore.)
Your turn! (PS. *I* won't ignore you. :)

By Hugh McLeod

4 comments:

  1. So what do you do with a questionnaire like this once you've finished it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delete it?

    I think it's more of an affirmation but sometimes people (me) need to hear themselves admit things. Like, if I realize that x makes me feel shitty, identify situations where x is happening and proactively avoid it. This is a topic for another blog post but growing up in a place where I wasn't always treated wonderfully has instilled a high tolerance for being around people that don't always make me feel that great. I think questions like this can tease out a self-awareness for what inherently feels good to a person and what doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! Especially if it helps you be yourself with less concern for what others think.

      Delete
    2. Aww thanks for being so supportive, ElGuap. :)

      Delete