- I'm a shoe snob (but not in that way). To hell with looks or fashion, it must be comfortable.
- Love to read. I read everything I can get my hands on. I used to read walking through the mall with family as a kid (hated shopping).
- I don't really watch TV except socially. Alone, there's more fun stuff to do instead, like create (draw, write, craft, etc.).
- Almost never get headaches or seasick and rarely get sick (except for #5).
- I have a sensitive stomach. I can't eat food that's too old, fatty, milky, rich or sweet, nor eat too much. I pick my way through a salad bar as slowly and deliberately as if I'm taking an LSAT exam.
- I don't really like bread, rice or pasta.
- Can usually fall asleep on a dime anywhere. I once slept on the deck of a ship with the sun beaming into my face while people mopped around me -- if tired enough, a plank of wood will suffice!
- Hate beauty appointments -- hair/nails/etc. are not for me.
- Hate making multiple trips with groceries, I'd rather injure myself carrying everything in at once.
- Washing dishes is fun.
- I've never broken a bone or been in the hospital overnight.
- I'm not superstitious or religious.
- I don't like taking medicine unless absolutely necessary. On the rare occasion that I do have a headache, I will try and sleep it off.
- My sweet tooth is my greatest weakness.
- Am obsessed with flossing.
- Not shy about ordering food I want. I never order a salad because "that's what girls do" -- I genuinely love salad. If I want a steak, I will order a steak.
- Drove a stick for 13 years and loved it.
- Peer pressure doesn't work for me, never did. I do what I want no matter what. If someone is lecturing me, I will nod and listen and look agreeable but in the end do my own thing anyway.
- Hate talking on the phone.
- I sleep on my back.
- Am never bored.
- I don't like when my car is messy.
- Generally am not an irritable driver.
- I rarely drink soda.
- Am extremely methodical about paying bills and being organized.
- Have never smoked a cigarette.
- Generally am not a jealous person.
- I love to write.
- I really do wish for world peace. When I read articles about other people's suffering, I sit and think about what they're going through and try to imagine life through their eyes. I give them a moment of silence and concentration to honor their pain by trying to feel it myself. And I think about how I can help and if there's something I can do, I try to do it.
- I find everything fascinating. So many possibilities! Piano, art, language, I want to learn so much. Wait, I lied. Not everything is fascinating. Knitting seems boring. Sorry.
- I used to want to be a doctor. Long story but I still read everything I can get my hands on about health and medicine. Info is a tool we can use to manage the quality of our lives. I am also skeptical and am not into supplements and claims not well-supported by peer-reviewed research. (The beginning scientist in me was trained well.) I am, however, intrigued by the ideas of yoga and meditation for stress and certain types of pain management. I am not against alternative medicine as much as I just require good evidence. If studies show it works, fine. The philosophy here is not much different than what I would expect from a financial advisor. Prove it and I'll invest. I'm not above trying something (like that time I tried acupuncture) and giving it a chance but this involves being honest with myself about observations and also recognizing that different people have different results. I know lots of people who swear by acupuncture. I don't really know if it helped me. It's possible, but no way to prove in my particular case.
Thursday, August 15, 2013
31 things about me
Inspired by several other bloggers, I decided to hop onto this "list stuff about yourself" meme. I'd love to read yours if you do this too.
at 11:30 PM