Monday, August 26, 2013

overheard (and why is this not obvious?!)

Sum up 80% of the conflict in human relationships and it boils down to this: one person wants something from the other. Overheard:

Person A: And so my __________ (mom, dad, partner, etc.) just really wants me to __________ (be a doctor/lawyer, be outgoing, go dancing, have kids, be a pianist, get a promotion, be more affectionate, get married, clean more, etc.). It's not what I want but they won't stop putting this pressure on me.

Person B: They want this of you because they love you.

Person A: Sure, I get that. But their motive doesn't MATTER, it's not helping me. They're pushing too hard.

Person B:  But what they want is a good thing.

Person A: That doesn't matter either, I'm just not going to ever be that way. It's not in my nature. It's not what I want.

Person B: But they want it so badly! I'm in this boat too so I understand, I want to see my loved ones improve too.

Person A: That's what they want for me but it's not what *I* want for me.

Person B: But they'll be so disappointed!

Person A: They'll have to learn how to deal with it. It's not my responsibility to manage their emotions.

Person B: But if you just did it, it would make them so happy!

Person A: Look, I would love to wrap my arms around my pet parakeet and hug it tight. But guess what? Birds HATE being hugged or touched. I can't show my bird love the way *I* want to show him, I have to show it in the way that HE wants it. He wants millet spray. Fine. I mean, I still have this need to hug -- I'm a primate, afterall -- but it's not up to my parakeet to console me because he's just being himself. I'll deal. And so they can deal.

Person B: Huh. You got a point.

"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." Kurt Cobain

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Nice post thanks for sharing. Would you please consider an intro to my website on your next post, I’ll return the favor. Please email me back. Thanks!

    Aaron Grey
    aarongrey112 at gmail.com

    Insurance blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dude, you're doing it wrong.

    ReplyDelete